Sunday, June 3, 2012

The NorthFace100 2012- The Race

Hi Everyone,

Here is a 'little' recap of my recent 100km run - The NorthFace 100 - an ultra marathon in the stunning, World Heritage listed Blue Mountains.

Months of indoor and outdoor training - squats, lunges, hundreds and hundreds of burpees and endless chants from Sol and Leonie (and a few good 50km runs thrown in for good measure) brought me to this moment, that I had been waiting for (dreading the more operative word) - the start of yet another very long 'Walk in the Park'.
I was a lot more confident going into the race this year knowing what to expect but then worry began to set in; Had I done enough running?; Was I going to beat my time from last year?; And the 'What Ifs'...What if I roll an ankle?; What if I have another groin injury? I had completely forgotten how incredibly hard this race was, both mentally and physically!!!

Over the course of the race, we covered a grand total of 4000m - almost half the height of Mt Everest!
 
Of the 1001 runners registered, only 638 finished. I managed to finish for a second time. Here is my diary of the event.

Hope you enjoy the read.

Nikki

The NorthFace100: The premier 100km trail run on the continent sees first runner powering through to the finish line in an astounding time of 9hours, 19minutes and 06 seconds!!!

The incredible Blue Mountains - the 3 Sisters & Mount Solitary

The night before

We arrived at the Fairmont resort for registration and a thorough gear check - everything was in order, thank goodness! We later heard that some runners had tried to get strapping tape through as a compression bandage, and another runner turned up with 2 iPhones. They said they were their main and backup light!!!

Back at the motel, we had dinner, did a final gear check and laid our the clothes out. We watched a bit of Masterchef and the Footie and were in bed by 10pm. I slept like a log, in fact only to wake at 4.30am with the usual pre-race nerves. Breakfast consisted of a protein drink, porridge and a very strong coffee! 

Race Day

Next morning we arrived at the Fairmont resort to a fairly calm and serene environment – we may have been a tad too early. Did some stretches and headed down to the briefing. It went late only to get outside and learn that Wave 1 had already gone! I almost sprained my ankle getting to the start! Can you imagine that – a DNF before I even started!?! Suddenly...Bang, the gun went off! We were away...

The Start
Matt & I on Bitumen!!! ;-)

The Start

The first couple of km’s through the streets are supposed to allow the runners to spread out. Unfortunately this was not the case. There were hold ups all over the shop!

Managed to pick up a bit of speed as we passed by the Scenic Railway. We scaled across the landslide and were faced by the unforgiving Golden Stairs! Stairs – my ass…these were not designed for people under 5ft 2! Made it to CP 1…after a gruelling up hill climb!

The fire trail that soon followed had me singing – “The long and winding road” (Thanks Sir Paul) which led down to Narrowneck. There, we ground to a halt at the Tarro’s Ladder. 


We were told it was a 5 minute wait and that there was a 400m diversion to bypass the ladders – but why run an extra 400m when you are already doing 100km?!?

Matt & I on our way to the Golden Stairs

Check Point 2 (38km)

In the lead up to CP2, Matt's groin flared up unexpectedly so he started taking painkillers and we had to slow to a walk for much of it which was frustrating for both of us. As we hadn't eaten a whole lot of solid food, this caused an adverse reaction and by Ironpot Ridge he felt dizzy and sick with not a lot of improvement in his groin. Ironpot Ridge is not for the fainthearted! I paused at the bottom of Ironpot Ridge to contemplate how I was going to attack this bad boy (this hill consists of a monster ascent and descent).

Following on from that, a creek crossing eventually lead us to the stables where I saw my old chum – the little Shetland pony! Matt was contemplating his moves carefully and decided that at the top of the hill, was the end of his race. He encouraged me to power on up (this is where the lunges and squats have helped me!).

I started to notice some runners slowing and others, stopped by the side of the road. I passed the 50km mark and I found myself falling into a very strong run. I knew I had left Matt way behind and his groin was going to cause him to pull the pin. I picked up speed and overtook some runners and soon found myself faced with a glimpse of CP3. 

Check Point 3 (54km)

IronPot Ridge
On arrival into CP3, I got cheers and hand claps worthy of a champion - it was the biggest boost ever! I quickly found my drop bag and queued for a hot noodle only to be rudely interrupted – but for a good reason! A marshal had rescued Matt at the 50km mark and he was now officially a DNF’r. I was gutted and broke down in tears (clearly exhausted and emotionally drained), but I knew I could do this on my own. I kissed him goodbye and left for Ol’ Nellie and her bloody Glen. Nellie’s Glen on one of our training runs took Matt and I a good 36 minutes from the very bottom to the top – there are more than 500 steps here. They are uneven, damp and slippery. And a pain in the bloody ass for someone of my stature! 

My concentration at this point was sharp and to keep myself moving forward, I focussed and became transfixed on the person in front – in fact on his shoes,  the “Hokas”. A conversation started and Craig and I soon discovered we had quite a bit in common – apart from the fact we both lost our parters and were both mad enough to be running a 100km’s. A lot of enthusiasm went into our chats, and we soon discovered that we could be heard by other runners some 500m below on the valley floor – brilliant! 
Craig keeping pace

Check Point 4 (65km)

We made it to the top of Nellies Glen and all the way to the Aquatic Centre - CP4 - before light fell. At CP4 Matt was there waiting for me – ready to change my clothes and to feed me. Go Checkpoint Charlie! I had half a pot noodle, half a sausage sambo and half a cup of hot choc and I was ready to go.

Craig and I left CP4 quickly knowing that we "only" had less than a marathon to go – please be reminded that there is a HUGE difference between running on road and running on trail. Especially a trail which has an ascent and descent equal to climbing half of Mt Everest. To run a trail marathon takes much longer than on road – unless of course you are a pro like Kilian Jornet.

We ran through Echo Point and then dropped down through the 3 Sisters and onto the Valley floor. Another runner advised us to turn off our head torches only to witness the most amazing galaxy of stars - not a single cloud in the sky, no moon and no city lights! It was amazing. 

Craig - Creek Crossing
Nikki - Creek Crossing

Check Point 5 (89km)

We reached 80km which is the lowest point of the race for many reasons. It sits around 200m in altitude – in comparison to the maximum height we reached, of over 1200m, and it was the start of our final and biggest climb of the day/night. I was running on empty and had no appetite. Craig was forcing me to eat something, but the least I could manage was 3 measly bites. I survived on an endless supply of eucalyptus mints! No toilet break either – so I was clearly dehydrated! Yikes. 

We crossed Leura creek, then Jamison creek and then hit the Kedumba walls with such determination. At 85km we discovered that there was a mandatory gear check and low and behold, there was my mate, Mike – sitting on a camp chair in front of a bonfire with a rug over him – he was toast! I then learned that Mitch had pulled the pin and I was the only member of the crew to keep going! No pressure at all.

Came into CP5, and was met by Matt and Mitch. I soon discovered that Matt had gone back to the motel, showered, bought himself a hot chicken, lemonade, cruskits and a pie, and had himself a feast – whilst I was out trailing through the Blue Mountains in the dark! Cheers.

The Finish

At the '1km to go’ sign I knew I was going to come in under 18hours and to keep my concentration, I started to count the steps onto the golf course – all 96 of them! Jesus – why were there steps there in the first place – I believe they were put in for the race.


The Finish
We did it – 17.49 was the official time (it says 17.52 on the clock). Matt was waiting there for me…and so too was another gear check. Within a second of crossing the finish line, mum texted me with my time – brilliant! I suppose it would have been the afternoon in Ireland! 

Once I stopped moving, my body went into shock and I soon found myself talking to 'God on the Big White Telephone'!

Next morning I got up at 6am and retraced my steps in my head (whilst updating my status on Facebook – hahaha). I did say in the last 40 odd km that I would not do it again, but that morning, I would have been more than happy to sign up for 2013.

Thank you Matt for acting as Checkpoint Charlie.
Thank you Craig for coming in as a last minute replacement for Matt.
Thank you Mum and Dad for thinking I am mad.
Thank you ladies for thinking me as an inspiration to you (really you can do it if you put your mind to it).






No comments:

Post a Comment